Care managers provide a connection to care.
As a person starts to become frail, the act of managing his or her care becomes increasingly difficult as the number of medical specialists involved in maintaining physical wellbeing increases. With so many specialists micromanaging the senior’s health, the “big picture” often gets overlooked. It is important to maintain clear lines of communication between all of the healthcare professionals. This is the care manager’s function. To assist in a search for a qualified care manager, use the below questionnaire when making inquiries.
1. What services do you provide?
- Assessment and evaluation?
- Written plan for services?
- Coordination of services?
- Regular monitoring?
- Routine reporting to family?
- If providing routine monitoring, how frequently do you visit the care recipient?
- How long are the visits?
2. What other professionals do you consult with or have working for you?
3. How do you supervise others working for you?
4. How do you monitor the quality of the services you provide?
5. What degrees and qualifications do you have?
6. To which organizations do you belong?
- American Society on Aging?
- Gerontological Society of America?
- National Association of Professional Care Managers?
- National Association of Social Workers?
- National Council on Aging?
7. What are your fees?
- For initial assessment?
- Ongoing hourly or retainer fee?
- What additional fees are there?
- Are there any discounts or reduced fees available, if necessary?
- How often do you bill?
8. Are you available to begin services now?
9. If not, how long is the waiting list?
10. Are you available outside of business hours if needed?
11. Do you have a backup care manager when you are not available?
12. When an emergency occurs, what is your procedure?
13. What do you consider an emergency or crisis?
14. Does this care manager appear interested in meeting the needs of my loved one?
15. Is the care manager knowledgeable about the services available in the area my loved one lives?
16. Did the care manager return calls promptly?
17. Do you feel you could work well with this person?
18. Do you feel you can trust this person with sensitive and confidential information?