If you’re providing Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) care for someone you love, you know that outdoor air pollution can often make symptoms worse. But, did you know that reduced air quality in the home can also cause COPD symptoms to flare? Ensuring the air inside the home is clean can help those with COPD – and everyone else in the home – breathe easier.
The Austin home health care team at CareFor advises keeping in mind these additional tips when addressing COPD symptoms:
- Prohibit Smoking in the Home. Never smoke or allow others to smoke in the home of a loved one with COPD. If the home contains a woodstove or fireplace, know that it can also be a source of irritation for someone with COPD.
- Avoid Exposure to Chemicals. Chemicals in the home, such as harsh cleaning products and paint, can trigger COPD symptoms, so limit their use, and ensure lids are kept on cleaning products when not in use. It’s also a good idea to look into healthier cleaning materials, such as vinegar and baking soda.
- Remove Dust. Wash bed linens each and every week, clear away all clutter, and keep pets off furniture to lower the amount of dust and animal hair.
- Purify the Air. Be sure to utilize an air filtration device with a HEPA filter. Even though we know air pollution is not as much a concern in rural areas as it is in the city, a loved one with COPD will benefit from filtered air to clear away any irritants and toxins.
- Keep Floors Clean and Swept. Make sure floors are swept and clean to prohibit allergen buildup. Keep in mind too that hardwood floors are much easier to keep in an allergen-free state than rugs and carpeting.
- Utilize a Humidifier. Dry air can exacerbate COPD problems, as can air that is too damp. Try to maintain a level of around 40% humidity in the home of someone with COPD.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the help of CareFor. We offer:
- Educational information about COPD care and management
- Ideal exercises to ease symptoms
- Nutrition and dietary tips
- Skills to best manage symptoms
- And a broad range of personalized home care services
Our trained and experienced caregivers in Austin, TX will first provide an assessment in the home to develop a plan of care to address your loved one’s needs. CareFor is here to help with personalized home health services Austin and the surrounding area can depend on. Contact us online any time or at (512) 338-4533 to find out more about our top-rated home care services.