As the top provider of professional senior care in Austin, San Antonio, and the surrounding area, we see firsthand every day the joy, companionship, and improved quality of life older adults receive from having a caregiver. Yet we also know that many older adults balk at the idea of caregiving. Understanding why seniors resist home care is key to overcoming these objections.
While naturally each individual will have distinct reasoning to support refusing help, some of the common feelings include:
- Not wanting a “stranger” in the home
- Fear of lost independence and freedom
- Feelings of shame or embarrassment about the need to depend on someone else
- A desire to remain in control, and not wanting someone to come in and “take over”
What’s the Main Reason Seniors Reject the Idea of Home Care?
What might surprise you, though, is the top concern older adults express about caregiving: that they won’t have any ideas about how to entertain the caregiver.
It’s important to listen to the particular concerns your loved one expresses about accepting support at home, to acknowledge those feelings, and to provide facts to help the person better understand what professional caregiver services entail.
For instance, the care professionals at CareFor are:
- Skilled at fostering independence and freedom in older individuals, empowering them to continue to make their own decisions and simply providing support where needed
- Fully trained and experienced in a wide array of aging care services, including respectful attention to care needs with the dignity each person deserves
- Carefully matched to a senior based upon personality type, likes/dislikes, interests, and more, resulting in a fast bond between both senior and caregiver
- Thoroughly background checked, screened, bonded and insured, for safety and peace of mind
Partnering with CareFor for professional in-home care services is the perfect solution for many people who want to continue to live at home throughout aging and prevent moving to a facility. All of our services begin with a complimentary in-home meeting, where we take time to listen to any concerns and challenges being faced. We then create a highly personalized care plan to address those needs in a way that helps older adults thrive.
With such benefits as improved safety, diminished risk of falls, hospitalizations and emergency room visits, decreased loneliness, and the freedom to go wherever, whenever the senior chooses, seniors have much to gain through engaging the services of our expert care team. Get in touch with us at (512) 338-4533 to learn more about how we can help!