Do you have an older loved one resisting the reality that he or she is in need of some extra help at home? One of the greatest reservations we have as we grow older is the loss of control and the ability to reside at home alone. Because of this fear, it may be very challenging to inquire about or to accept the help needed. If you’re encountering this problem, CareFor has some helpful tips to try when considering home healthcare in Georgetown or the surrounding areas:
- Introduce the older adult to the caregiver before care begins to establish a relationship so that the caregiver is not regarded as a complete stranger.
- If the older adult is concerned about having someone he or she isn’t acquainted with in the house, consider having a family member present for the first couple of visits.
- CareFor can help with matching a caregiver who shares interests with the senior, like church or hobbies. This can make the relationship with the caregiver feel more like a friendship.
- Make senior home care appear more appealing by presenting the alternate possibilities for the senior, such as moving in with a family member, moving into an assisted living facility, etc.
- Place the focus on yourself. Let your loved one know that you know he or she is very self-sufficient, but having a caregiver around will help minimize your worries.
- Start small with a demo run. Have a home caregiver come in once a week for a couple of hours just to take care of some light housekeeping or laundry, and then work up to more care once the older adult is more comfortable.
CareFor provides experienced and reliable home healthcare in Georgetown. We can help you navigate this challenging time with a senior loved one with our approach to creating the perfect care plan. Whether a loved one’s need is for just a few hours each week, full-time, 24/7 care, or anything in between, we can offer help in a number of ways, such as:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Light housecleaning and laundry
- Running errands
- Transportation to appointments and outings
- Personal care tasks
- Specialized care for Alzheimer’s and other chronic conditions
- Professional care management services
- And so much more
We know how difficult it can be when older adults feel as if they’re giving up their independence. Contact us today to learn how we provide the care management and home healthcare services that Georgetown families recommend most!